Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Poor Molly...and Will...or Maybe it's Poor Mommy!

Monday morning I decided to call and get Will ANOTHER appt with his Dr. I've been noticing over the last week that he is still rubbing his ears, so I was thinking the infections were still around even after a dose of antibiotics. We got an appt at 6:10pm that night. We decided Jeremy would take Will so I could stay home with Molly and feed her and put her to bed. We figured she'd probably need to go down early because....well, where do I start? How about 3:30am that morning when she woke up to eat and did not go back to sleep until 5am. Usually I feed her and put her down and she falls right back to sleep. She seemed "off" for some reason so I wondered how long it would take her...a half hour later I heard her "talking." An hour and a half later, Jeremy was finally able to put her down. This is not a normal thing for her....however, she's been very very congested, probably the worst she's ever been (although it seems like she's been congested since the day she was born). So we figured that was probably making it hard for her to sleep. She was very fussy that day and would not sleep. She was basically awake all day with a few half hour naps here and there....so the chaos of Molly crying, trying to get Will's dinner going early so he could go to the appt., Will breaking down and throwing tantrums b/c HE didn't nap either and was very tired and getting Will and Jeremy out the door all started about 5:15pm...they are on their way, I spend another half hour trying to calm Molly down so she could go to sleep b/c she's exhausted and her eyes are rimmed with red circles...just about to lay her down, she's out...Lady starts barking...and will not stop. Must be the UPS guy that was supposed to be here earlier but is running late. Molly wakes up, crying, won't settle down...finally I say, I'm sorry Molly but I have to get something done...I put her in the crib so I can do some laundry...she cries and cries and cries...so I pick her up...I'm holding her in the laundry room...she settles down and is watching me...there's a huge pile of whites right at my feet...and that's when it happens...Molly throws up EVERYWHERE!!! (Oh I forgot to mention that she ate an ENTIRE jar of sweet potatoes today) She is orange, I am orange, all down the front of me, shirt, pants, everything...oh and that pile of whites? Not white anymore...all ORANGE....I stand in shock for a moment...then strip all my clothes off, strip Molly, throw her in a blanket, pull my bathrobe on and call Jeremy. Tell him to call the dr. and ask if we can bring Molly in for her to check her out at the same time she looks over Will...thankfully they say it's fine. I knew she needed to be seen, with the lack of sleep, all the crying and the throwing up (all behavior that is not her style). So I now have 20 minutes to get dressed, get Molly dressed, figure out a way to get rid of the puke smell all over my arm (and my hair!), get us both in the car and get to the appt by 6:10pm...Not sure what clothes I put on b/c I didn't pay any attention and I threw Molly in to a pair of footed pj's. (Why isn't it acceptable to society that an adult wear footed pj's out in public at times like this? It'd be so easy!) We make it....meet Jeremy in the lobby and within 30 seconds they call Will and Molly (why is it when you're not rushed and early to an appt., they make you wait 45 minutes! but times like this, they can't get you in the room fast enough). So guess what...Will still has an infection in both ears, although it's better, but still there, second round of antibiotics for Will, a different one, and Molly...what's going on with her? Right ear infection!!
I'm not sure how I feel about this...it's good b/c there's an explanation for the crazy behavior and it can be cured with medicine...but soooo bad at the same time. My poor baby girl has basically been sick since she was born and now at 6 months she has her first ear infection...at the same time Will has his first ear infection...except he's almost 3!!!
Poor Molly, poor 2nd child...
Oh and because I know you're curious...whatever happened to all the orange clothes Molly and I were wearing a long with the orange pile of whites on the laundry room floor? That night I spent way too much time moving it all to the bathtub full of cold cold water, letting it soak overnight and then spent way too much time Tuesday morning ringing it all out, spray n' washing it, scrubbing it and then washing all of it...
Yes, it all came out...no more sweet potatoes on all my whites...
So there was a happy ending to this story after all.... :-)

6 comments:

Anna said...

OMGosh! What a day Jen! I am glad your little gems have medicine but what a feat to get them to the dr. Poor little Molly and poor Will - their ears are really getting the runaround. I am thinking of you and sending {hugs} your way.

Jennifer said...

What a night! Im glad Jeremy was there. I hope they are feeling better soon! I hope Molly is sleeping better.

katy said...

Oh Jen! I am so sorry! What a disaster! I hope and pray your kids feel better soon. XOXO

tomandcheryl said...

ugggh, I know a lot of kids that haven't had an infection clar up after the first round. I hope they get better. Oh and D had an ear infection when she was 2.5 and I thought she was done napping but that cleared up and she continued to nap for another few months so that is some good news.

Mary said...

yuck!!! poor everyone!!!!! i hate winter ... can not wait for june. we just had a puking day on wednesday with emma ... i feel your pain. hopefully you all get some rest ;0

Casey Crane said...

So why haven't you called? LOL I'm so sorry that you had such a rough week. This cold season has definitely held on tightly. I also feel for little Lexa that she has already had to deal with being sick whereas Madison never was sick for the first 2 years. Today's sunshine had to have helped a little! Talk to you soon!