Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Dinner at the Beach

At the last minute, we decided to pack a picnic dinner last night and head to the beach for "dinner out." Yes, the beach has become our new restaurant, we eat "out" once or twice a week. (We realized later that Will turned 3 1/2 yesterday, so it turned out to be a good little celebration.) It was a beautiful day and still nice and warm at the beach. We got there just in time to see a gorgeous sunset. We found a new use for the Bumbo seat too...perfect seat for Molly to eat in at the beach! We decided to try it b/c we were tired of lugging the stroller in the sand...and the Bumbo worked perfectly. Will crawled into my lap and sat looking at the ocean with me while we ate sandwiches and Pirates Booty. I told him I was a very lucky Mommy. After dinner we walked along the edge of the ocean in the sand and everytime I said to Molly, "look at the waves." She would take her hand and swing it left and right using her whole arm. She was "waving." Cracked me up. She kept "grabbing" for the birds, the waves, and the moon. Everytime I said, "Yes, Molly, daddy will give you the moon." She'd look at Jeremy and reach for the moon. Jeremy and Will had sand races to see who was faster, I think it was a tie and Will almost got thrown in the ocean a couple times (just kidding). It was a wonderful evening, so relaxing, happy and simple.
(When we got home, we watched the news after the kids were in bed and the weather-woman was freaking out, "You like the heat today, well we're going to get a Winter Blast! Things are changing, stay tuned to hear about the cold weather we are in for tomorrow b/c of a Winter Blast!" We were laughing, it was rediculous, it's 70 today instead of 85! It is absolutely helarious what people think is "cold" here.)

Carlsbad State Beach at Sunset
Molly watching the birds.
Molly reaching for the birds.

Molly watching and listening to the waves.

Now most of you know that I am no Martha Stewart. I don't cook, I don't even like to cook, I don't bake, I'm not a very good house cleaner, I don't sew, don't even know how to sew a button on, or rather don't want to learn, I am not creative, I don't think of "fun," creative things to do with the kids...etc, etc. You get the picture. However, when we got home from the beach last night, I did this:
Yes, I had baked 2-3 dozen halloween cookies and I frosted them all last night, you have no idea how proud of myself I am. I even thought ahead, left some plain and bought Halloween sprinkles and frosting for Will to decorate some....I'm am so proud.
My favorites.
The little "card" I made to go with each goody bag of cookies. Will and I are going to hand them out to the neighborhood kids he's met. I stamped the red H myself and made a pumpkin hole punch that I found in all my scrapbooking stuff (no, I'm still no Martha Stewart, I haven't touched scrapbooking in 2 years.)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Man, what a life! dinner on the beach, which is practically in your back yard! and 70 degrees in late October! Nice. Im jealous. That sounded like a perfect evening full of wonderful memories, like something you see in a movie :)

Im right there with you about the Martha Stewart thing (expect I would say Im a little crafty, I do love doing crafts, but none of that other stuff! Im glad Im not alone - seriously, it makes me feel so much better, so thanks!) Very nice job on the cookies!! That is awesome, you should be proud.

We just made regular choco chip cookies for our new neighbors and they really loved the jester. Your the new guy, I hope they are bringing you some! :)

Herb Family said...

What fun you guys are having! Does it feel like you are on a long vacation? Listening to waves hiting the sand while watching a sunset is my favorite thing to experience so I'll just experience it vicariously through you guys. Thanks so much for sharing.

Are you kidding me...I see you as being very creative and you did such a fantastic job on the cookies. I need to learn from you how to fit fun stuff like that into my schedule. You are such an amazing mom Jen!!

Mary said...

Hi Jen!
Love this post! What a wonderful wonderful night. It sounds like CA is a really great fit for you guys. And your cookies are adorable!!! You are on your way to Martha Stewart for sure ;0
Have a great halloween!!!